T.Y. Hilton made a few things clear on Wednesday. The veteran receiver said that he wants to be a “Colt for life,” according to ESPN’s Mike Wells. The four-time Pro Bowler also said that he will retire at the conclusion of his next contract.
Hilton, 30, is entering the final year of his five-year, $65 million contract with the Colts. Hilton and the Colts had started discussing an extension this offseason before the current coronavirus pandemic halted those talks.
“It takes two sides,” Hilton said. “It’s up to [Colts owner Jim] Irsay and [general manager] Chris [Ballard] to get the job done. I want to be a Colt. So you heard it from me.”
Injuries limited Hilton, the NFL‘s leading receiver in 2016, to just 10 games in 2019. Despite last season’s struggles, Colts offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni in 2020.
“I expect a great bounce back from a year (where) he had a lot of injuries,” Sirianni said, via Pro Football Talk. “I expect the 2018 version of him. If T.Y. stays healthy, there’s no doubt that’s what we’ll see. … He’s still the main piece of this offense. T.Y. Hilton is who this pass offense runs through.”
Before last season, Hilton was one of the most productive receivers in the NFL. During his first seven seasons, Hilton averaged 72 receptions for 1,161 yards and six touchdowns per year. His play helped the Colts clinch fourth playoff berths during that span, including a trip to the AFC Championship Game in 2014.
While he feels that he let his teammates down in 2019, Hilton is looking forward to bouncing back in 2020. He is specifically looking forward to playing with quarterback Philip Rivers, who signed a one-year deal with the Colts earlier this offseason.
“I think it’ll be special,” Hilton said of playing with Rivers, who is 2,091 yards away from passing Dan Marino for fifth place on the career passing list. “I think the way I’m training, the way my body feels and Philip doing his thing, I feel like it’ll be an All-Pro year for me.”